There is a perceptible scepticism around armed robot in combat units – the question whether to use it or not. The EOD robots (EOD – Explosive Ordnance Disposal) won their way to war theatre already, but other support assets on UGV platforms (UGV – Unmanned Ground Vehicles) need to be trusted in future, too. One of the reasons for distrust could be a discussion gap between researchers and infantry units on the lowest tactical level. The article tries to set simple demands throughout infantryman-eyes perspective and it outlines needs for the UGV in the mechanized / infantry units in a first part. The second part outlines basic technical and tactical specification as a challenging list for development teams. Finally, the third part proposes two notional AAR (After Action Report) reports of units using UGV for support. The article sets basic questions of themes as the autonomy and controls of UGVs and UGV in ISTAR systems (ISTAR – Intelligence Surveillance Target Acquisition Reconnaissance).
Keywords: after action report, armed UGV, autonomy of UGV, controls of UGV, force multiplier, mechanized infantry, restricted terrain UGV, urban operation.
- MATEJKA, J. Unmanned Ground Vehicle as a Force Multiplier in Urban Operations (in Slovak). Vojenské rozhledy, 2017, vol. 26, no. 4, p. 119-134. ISSN 1210-3292.
- HÉMEZ, R. Eurosatory 2018. Session Use of Automated Systems – Control, Security, Effects. Paris. Personal communication.
- SINGER, P.W. Wired for War: The Robotics Revolution and Conflict in the Twenty-first Century. New York: Penguin Press, 2009. 499 p. ISBN 978-0-14-311684-4.
- Eurosatory 2018: French Company SD4E Unveils Snibot as Hyperprecision Robot for Sniping [on-line]. 2018. [cited 2019-01-23]. Available from: https://www.armyrecognition.com/eurosatory_2018_official_news_online/eurosatry_2018_french_company_sd4e_unveils_snibot_as_hyperprecision_robot_for_sniping.html.
- OFFICE OF THE CHAIRMAN OF THE JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF. DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms [on-line]. Washington DC: The Joint Staff, 2019. 382 p. [cited 2019-07-2]. Available from: https://www.jcs.mil/Portals/36/Documents/Doctrine/pubs/dictionary.pdf.
- ZBOŘIL, I. and CHLUP, V. Before the System of the Soldier for the Czech Army Acquisition (in Czech). Fine Mechanics and Optics, 2009, vol. 4, p. 95-108. ISSN 0447-6441.
- ENGLAND, J. BAE Systems Black Knight Tank – Unmanned Combat Vehicle. Military Machine [on-line]. January 2019. [cited 2019-02-21]. Available from: https://militarymachine.com/black-knight-tank/.
- LYSITSIN, P. Prepare to be Terminated – Russia readies First Robot Tank, Shows off Armata at Arms Expo. RIA Novosti [on-line]. September 2015. Available from: https://www.rt.com/news/314963-armata-autonomous-combat-system/.
- NATO. Standardization Agreement (STANAG 4569) Protection Levels for Occupants of Armoured Vehicles. Brussels: NATO, 2014. 8 p.
- Electro Optic Systems [on-line]. EOR400S-Mk2 Datasheet. [cited 2019-02-19]. Available from: https://www.eos-aus.com/defence/.
- Nexter OPTIO X-20 [on-line]. Nexter Systems SA. 2 p. [cited 2019-03-04]. Available from: https://www.nexter-group.fr/sites/default/files/fichiers-catalogue-produit/OPTIO.pdf.
- Kongsberg PROTECTOR Datasheet [on-line]. Kongsberg Protech Systems. 24 p. [cited 2019-02-15]. Available from: https://www.kongsberg.com/contentassets/d3a34016b7dc459da15d3a239681e8df/protector_screen_1.pdf.
- BackTrail – Logistic Trailers for Combat Vehicles [on-line]. Urdan Metal & Casting Industries Ltd. [cited 2019-04-10]. Available from: http://urdan.co.il/military/backtrail/.
- SIRAK, M.C. Man on the Loop Air Force Magazine [on-line]. January 2010. [cited 2019-01-11]. Available from: http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/newtech/Pages/box012510lord.aspx.
- CORN, G.S. Autonomous Weapon Systems: Managing the Inevitability of Taking the Man Out of the Loop [on-line]. June 2014, 30 p. [cited 2019-02-04]. Available from: https://www.law.upenn.edu/live/files/3894-corn-understanding-the-loop-regulating-the-next.
- Qinetiq TRC Brochure. [on-line]. Qinetiq North America Inc. [cited 2019-02-04]. Available from: https://qinetiq-na.com/products/unmanned-systems/trc/tactical-robot-controller-trc/.
- Unmanned Systems Integrated Roadmap FY2011-2036. [on-line]. 2011, p. 108. [cited 2019-02-21]. Available from: https://fas.org/irp/program/collect/usroadmap2011.pdf.